DIY: painting and antiquing a fabulous furniture find

Hi everyone!

I’m super excited about this antique cabinet I found last Friday at a moving sale. It was in pretty rough shape so I got it for a whopping $20! The glass in the door was falling out, the bottom front had been chewed up by a dog and the side was chipped up as well. 


(Excuse the bad pictures)

I’ve been referring to the cabinet as a “she” because she’s just so pretty. A diamond in the rough, but I knew all she needed was a little make up to cover those blemishes and she would be beautiful again. πŸ’„πŸ’‹ A friend commented that she had great legs and I would agree! Even in old age this girl has kept some smoken hot legs! πŸ˜†

 I wanted to give her a feminine, chippy look in an antiqued blush pink finish.  I whipped out my SaltWash supply, paint brush, metal spatula/scraper, stir stick, mixing jar, Valspar antiquing glaze, a left over sample of Sherwin Williams agreeable grey paint, and my 4 Valspar pink paint samples I bought at Lowes (using my Buy 1 Get 1 Free coupons). πŸ™ŒπŸΌπŸ™ŒπŸΌ

  1. Soft Pink 
  2. Cashmere Pink
  3. Field of Flowe
  4.  Semi-Precious


I wiped her down and sanded her a bit with my electric sander just to make her a little gritty. 

Then I mixed up some Agreeable Grey paint with the SaltWash to a thick paste consistency and slapped it on with my paint stick. 


Then after the grey paint dried a bit I went back with the Soft Pink SaltWash mixture and slapped it on with my paint stick. 

I layered it on pretty thick right here to cover up where the wood was chipped off to help build it back up to a flat surface.
Then after letting it dry to a chalky, (but not completely dry), I scraped it up a bit to make it chippy and reveal some of the wood again……

I decided this wasn’t quite the pink I was going for so I mixed up the  Field of Flowers paint and SaltWash.


Layered it on using my paint stick again….

Let it dry to a chalky, almost dry stage and began scraping again using my metal spatula/scraper.​​​

​​

Then I painted on the Valspar antiquing glaze….​

​​

After applying it, I went back with a damp paper towel wiped the majority of it off and then worked in the glaze with a dry paper towel. 

Then after a little sanding to bring out the layered colors and adding the chicken wire on the door she was finished!!

What do you think?!?!

​

Painting Patterns on Furniture…

Refinishing furniture is one of my favorite things to do. I have worked on numerous pieces over the years, but I would say painting bohemian/tribal prints on different types of furniture has been the most fun.

I first saw this done on a chest of drawers on Pinterest and instantly knew I had to try it! A very talented lady from www.Howdy-Honey.com refinished this piece. A girl after my own heart!

Here is the version I created for my son’s bedroom. After it turned out so beautifully I knew I was hooked!

I found my next piece of furniture to tackle with a similar style, which happened to be a dresser that had been sitting in my garage for years. I never cared for this dresser, so it sat, pushed aside with no use other than to take up space. I’m so glad I gave it a chance rather than going out and buying a different piece to complete my boys’ bedroom.

I forgot to take a before pic, but just imagine this image without the blue painters tape all over it and with round, wooden knobs….. To get started, I took off all the knobs and then taped off the design I wanted with painters tape. I had to use a ruler and do some good measuring to make sure my pattern fit properly and my angles were consistent.

The first piece I painted with the tribal pattern was raw wood with black so I knew I wanted to make this piece a little different. I mixed it up a bit by using  grey and black on the raw wood. I decided not to paint the top of the dresser because my boys are rough on furniture and I didn’t want it to get all scratched up.  

After I finished painting, I distressed it a  little and added knew knobs I found at Hobby Lobby.

I am so happy with how it turned out!

My next furniture tackle was a chair I had bought at a yard sale for $10. I purchased it to complete the office makeover I did for the One Room Challenge hosted by www.CallingItHome.com with media partner House Beautiful magazine. This is the side of the chair where I decided to give painting patterns another go.

Just like the dresser, I taped it off to be sure I had straight and accurate lines and angles. Then I painted it with a creamy white chalk paint.

Here is a close up of the finished product after I painted the wood frame of the chair and sanded everything down to give it an aged look.

The pattern painting didn’t end there. I scored this old, wooden curio wall shelf for $1 at a yard sale and decided to liven it up. I painted it with a coat of Fuchsia spray paint I had left over from another project. This took no time at all and was so much easier than trying to brush on paint in all those little cubicles. As if Fuchsia wasn’t bold enough, I had to add the boho pattern to it as well. I free handed this with a white paint pen. Paint pens are my new best friend.

So now this little beauty hangs in my craft nook as my personal glitter holder!

Don’t be scared to step outside the box and take your creativity to the next level! I hope these pieces inspired you to  painting a pattern of your own.

Be bold and dreamers keep on dreaming….